Sunday, December 13, 2009

Clarification

Thanks for the nice comments on my last post, though I think I was perhaps a bit inarticulate (majorly sleep deprived as my 23-month-old STILL wakes up many times a night....) making it seem as if I were saying that many bloggers have "sold out" and wondering if I should as well. Quite frankly, my confusion about what to do with this blog is less about them and more about me, though I have marveled recently at how professional many blogs have become and how many bloggers have moved in one direction or another (food blogging, mommy blogging, maintaining a travel guide, etc.). Over the years, my interests have shifted a bit, and I've often wondered if I shouldn't perhaps focus on one particular topic as well.

When I started the blog, I was not the happiest expat in Italy as I'd just lost my full-time job in very shady (very only-in-Italy) circumstances, and I felt that all the work I'd put into being here had been for naught. My earliest posts reflected that frustration, and then a stressful pregnancy here didn't help the situation. But now I'm at a different point in my life, and it's very possible that a year from now, I won't even be living in Italy.

The major point of my last post was that when I started the blog, I felt like posting was part of one long exchange with other expats or Italy lovers. I made some great friends and met many interesting people. Even people I've never met in person feel like great "virtual" friends to me. Now it seems like the conversation has gotten more one-sided. I get a lot of short emails, such as "I'm Australian and moving to Milan. What's life like there?" or "Know any good hospitals for giving birth near Como?" I always write back with detailed responses and most of the time, I don't even get a "thank you" in response.

I'm also feeling the need to be a little less "exposed" on the Internet now that I have a child. And now that I have a child, I'm out and about less and doing fewer things that are blog-worthy. In any case, a combination of factors has led me to question why I'm blogging, what I'd like to "offer" readers/the world, what I'd like to get out of it myself and how to make it happen in the limited time I have for personal projects. Tutto qui!

10 comments:

Deirdré Straughan said...

FWIW, these days I refer people to expattalk.com. I just don't have the time or interest to write long answers, and some people seem to expect me to do the research they could do for themselves!

The Quarke Family said...

I just wanted to leave a quick comment (the boy keeps waking, argh) to say that I really appreciated all of your help and advice when A was born! I hope it didn't feel one-sided ... and I know exactly what you mean about not knowing what to do with the blog. As you know, I ended up just writing a private one about A for our families and friends, but I still want to write more about other stuff, but I don't have a focus, and I don't want to ramble about random stuff either.

Good luck figuring it out -- curious to see what other blog ideas you've got. Take care!

J.Doe said...

As an ex blogger I can understand your thinking that your doing less blog worthy things (although you are not) and as a mother of a 22 month old I can understand not wanting to be too exposed on the internet (and also being just too tired to write a post)
I enjoy reading your posts and am always glad when there is another but if you want to write less or take a break or even stop altogether I'll understand.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Mary said...

It's funny, but I've been thinking the same thing lately. My posts are getting fewer because A) I can't type unless my son is sleeping and B) I'm not doing very much that's interesting. To be honest though, I've stopped reading a lot of those blogs that have now become so commercial. I look at them in my blog reader and delete them without reading them. So, where do we go from here?

190.arch said...

You could try a new blog anyway, there is a new chapter in your life and it's worth to write about it as well : )
I also started a blog because I was really angry with Italia and the way my life had changed when I arrived here. Then I realized that the ugly things were less than the beautiful things and I started a new blog (my current blog, always in spanish), I changed provider and I also buy a domain!
I like to have a blog because I think it keeps my mind healthy and it's always better and my thoughts become clearer when I write.
I agree about kids online, I love photo shooting and I know that everybody is waiting for tons of photos of my brand new child, but they seem to ignore I don't have any intention to upload a single image of my little being... maybe little feet, little hands, but that's all, kids deserve privacy.
For any other privacy issue, I can recomend you wordpress instead blogger, it has more privacy options, it's a better blog platform than Blogger : )

Tina said...

Ah, when I lived in Buenos Aires, I got the questions on what do do/how to move there/etc., and rarely ever a thank you. Boy do I know how you feel.

As for your blog, maybe just let it evolve into what comes naturally.

I never comment but I do pop in occasionally and I enjoy your "writing voice". Keep it up!

Delina said...

Hello Michelle.
Hope you're well. I've abandoned my blog .. Though I do miss the blogging community - which is why I'm dropping by now. I just feel like I've told all my Italy stories, given advice as much as I can etc etc. I'm thinking of taking up Twittering now :)

Nan @ Living Venice Blog said...

I just came across your blog and twitter feed. All I can say about your last two posts is...I wonder how many of us bloggers have the same dilemma/ challenge/ quandry?

I know I do...thanks so much for sharing. I look forward to see the tack we all take. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
michelle | bleeding espresso said...

I think most if not all bloggers go through this at some stage; my blog started out being a lot about my life in Italy so it was suddenly an "Italy expat blog!" instead of what it really was, "a blog written by someone who happens to be an expat in Italy." My life is so much more than tales of living here *and* I realized how great a tool the blog can be to help further my writing career (and it definitely has)...so I added different things that I personally enjoy and find useful for my career.

And of course I know I could keep a certain segment of my current and/or ex-readers happy by just writing about the quaint happenings in my southern Italian village, but you know what? That would bore the hell out of me! Like Delina said, you get to a point where you don't feel like you have much to say on it *or* quite honestly you just don't feel like writing about it. At its core, my blog was supposed to be enjoyable for me...confining myself to such a limited thing like my move to Italy (SEVEN years ago) would just *not* be enjoyable for me...and that would definitely come through in my writing, *if* I forced myself to do it....

So, basically, back to my original advice, which is do what feels right for you :D