Ara Pacis Museum - we kept passing and could not figure out what it was. Photo by maxgianiThe Milanese have a funny way of looking at Rome. They tend to qualify all statements with "E' bella Roma ma..." (Rome is beautiful, but...). I think Romans tend to say that Milan is ugly and foggy. No qualification at all.
Examples of things the Milanese say when visiting la Città Eterna:
1) E' bella Roma ma...it's too hilly.
2) E' bella Roma ma...it's too chaotic. And not "controlled chaos" like in Milan.
3) E' bella Roma ma...Romans themselves are a bit gruff and rough around the edges.
4) E' bella Roma ma...they don't know how to take care of the city.
5) E' bella Roma ma...I could never live here.
I don't agree with most of the above, but I do find the whole Milan-Rome competitiveness thing funny. I love Rome, but I don't think I would want to live there and can't really put my finger on why. Maybe it's one of those places I enjoy visiting so much that I think that living there would ruin it for me. Know what I mean?